String lights are a great way to add ambiance to your camper, tent or campsite. They pack up relatively small and the choices here are either USB or Solar powered, so they use very little power – perfect for camping. In this list our goal was to find lights that were not only fun, but also easily packable, light weight and used very little power.
Here are the best String Lights for Camping and a few extra added bonus camping lights that will keep your campsite well lit and cozy!
- Goal Zero Light a Life Mini
- Biolite Site Light
- Revel Trail Hound 30 Ft USB String Light
- MPower Luci Solar String Lights
- Biolite headlamp and diffuser bag
Best String Lights for Camping
1. Goal Zero Light a Life Mini
I have a 2005 Honda Element that I have turned into a camper van, and the Goal Zero Light a Life Mini are the string lights that I use in the van. I power them with either a Goal Zero Yeti 200 or Yeti 400. I like these lights because they are high quality, and can turn on individually instead of needing to power the whole set. The Light a Life Mini’s have a normal or bright setting. You can string these together and they use about 1 watt per light. These lights typically come with a clouded white shade, however you can purchase a pack with multi color rubber shades, which is what I did here for the ambiance of the lighting.
2. Biolite Site Light
The Biolite Site Lights are a set of 4 lights that store very small and are very lightweight. They come with 10 feet of cord and can be strung together with other Biolite sets to make a longer string of lights. They have a pin connector that will work with some Biolite products but not all. You will need to use the included USB adaptor for most power stations and to plug into the Biolite AlpenGlow lights. The Site Lights only use about 2 watts of power, making them a great option for boondocking or back packing. Shop all BioLite Lighting.
The Biolite Alpenglow lantern is a great addition to power this set – you can see my review here.
Bring the stars a little closer with this constellation of lights, designed for easy, instant setup. Containing four lights per string, the SiteLight String can light pathways, campsites, and tents with 150 lumens of ambient light. Set on 10 feet of cord and daisy-chainable, power it with BioLite Lanterns or through any USB power source with the included adapter.
- 4x LED string lights - 150 Lm total
- Daisy chain output - connect additional string lights
- Cord stabilizers for accurate overhead focused light
- Weight: 2.5oz.
The AlpenGlow 500 rechargeable lantern delivers a dusk or daylight feel inspired by nature. Featuring high-efficiency ChromaReal LED technology, accurately render the colors in your environment with the glow of warm natural light. Feeling more aurora borealis? Shake the lantern for an instant rotation of mesmerizing color. Offering both ambient and task-based light, AlpenGlow 500 is ready for the backyard or the backcountry.
3. Revel Trail Hound 30 Ft USB String Light
I received the Revel Trail Hound USB String Lights in one of my monthly Nomadik camping gear boxes and I have them strung full time in my bedroom. They give off the perfect glow and have a couple different modes – my favorite being firecrackle – and are also dimmable. On their lowest setting they use barely 1 watt of power. While these are very bright and efficient, 30 feet is a lot of string light, so these may be a great choice for a camper, or hanging in your campsite or on an awning. They are not on Amazon so I found a similar product.
Waterproof Multi Color Changing Fairy Lights with Remote for Indoor Outdoor Patio Wedding Party Christmas Bedroom Decoration
4. MPower Luci Solar Powered String Lights
Anyone that camps probably knows about Luci Solar Lights, and MPower has given us a great option for string lights as well! These beautiful 18 feet of lights are high quality, and will work in or out of the camper. They can be powered via solar or USB. They have a mode that changes color, and also a flashlight on the outside of the light pack. The Luci Solar string lights are easily rolled up and stored inside the unit and the solar panel is built right in. These are the perfect boondocking string lights. The 2000 mAh Lithium-ion battery inside can also charge your phone (or other string lights) in a pinch, making these one of the best string lights for camping!
- BUILT-IN RECHARGEABLE 2000 mAh LITHIUM-ION BATTERY. With 6 colors of ambiance across an 18 ft cord, mobile charging, and lasting up to 15 hours on a single charge, Luci Color String Lights are perfect for illuminating your space.
- BRIGHT AND LONG LASTING. Emitting 6 colors (violet, turquoise, green, orange, pink, white) via 20 multi-color LEDs across an 18 ft cord, this light provides up to 15 hours of light on a single charge, so you can keep your day going long into the night.
- COMPLETELY SOLAR & NEVER NEEDS BATTERIES. Luci's built-in high efficiency solar panel means that no batteries are needed - ever. Recharge fully via solar or quick charge via USB (16 hours / 4 hours).
5. Biolite headlamp and diffuser bag
If you want to keep it very simple and lightweight, check out the Biolite 200 Lumen headlamp with diffuser bag. These are sold separately, and of course you can use the diffuser back with any headlamp. This is a quick, lightweight and easy way to hang up a light in your tent or campsite, and make a light weight dual purpose light if you are backpacking.
- Weighs only 50g
- Four light modes: White + Dim , Red + Dim, White Strobe, Red Strobe
- Front panel tilts downward with one hand.
- 40 hours on LO, 3 hours on HIGH. Max Output: 200 lumens
- Recharge via micro USB